Tips…. for packing and storage
Follow these for a stress-free experience
- Plan ahead! Make sure you have all the packaging materials you need before you start including boxes, tape, packing, markers and furniture covers.
- Label each box with its contents and keep a written inventory as you pack.
- Use larger boxes for lighter items such as linen and smaller boxes for heavier items such as books.
- Take care. Pack small things carefully into boxes with appropriate materials such as tissue paper or bubble wrap.
- Put heavier items on the bottom and mark the box ‘This Side Up.’
- Packed boxes should only weigh as much as you can lift without straining yourself.
- Where possible keep your frequently used items at the front of your storage unit and put less used items at the rear.
- Protect your furniture. Cover items, including mattresses, with our specially designed covers.
- Make the best use of your storage unit by stacking to the ceiling where possible. Place the heaviest items on the bottom and work up to the lightest items at the top.
- As you move items into your storage unit, make a simple plan of where everything is.
- Optimise the space in your storage area. Stand bigger items on their end or on their side, remove legs from furniture where you can and stack chairs with towels or blankets between them.
- Use your fridge, appliances and cupboards to store other items like books or CDs. Make sure the doors are left ajar so air can circulate inside them.
- Tools, garden equipment and hoses can be stored in empty rubbish bins.
- Don’t store flammable, hazardous or perishable goods.
- Drain fuel and oil from machinery and empty gas bottles.
For more information or advice, call (08) 8345 1588.